Pincushion challenge - flowers

>> Monday, July 31, 2006

As promised here is my pincushion for the Pincushion challenge - just in time since it's the last day. The cylinder style pincushion seems to be quite popular - I've been wanting to make one for some time and this is my first one. It's a good shape to decorate with embroidery and appliqué. I have been inspired of course by the beautiful pincushions made by Bella Dia - so talented! and this lovely cake pincushion made by Sweet Pea. I didn't mean to copy Sweet Pea - but I think mine kind of looks like a cake too. It feels like a nice fat cupcake.

I made my pattern by cutting a rectangle, then tracing the circle it would make with a 1/4" seam allowance. The top is made from pale pink wool felt and the bottom is made from dark red wool felt. The side is dark pink cotton fabric - I used two layers of fabric so it would be thicker. It was also the perfect opportunity to use my charming elephant flower ribbon:The ribbon has flowers in white and dark green on a red background so I used those colours to decorate the top. The flowers and leaves are made from wool felt with pink embroidery floss French knots in the centre of each one.
I added a small button at the top and bottom so that I could pull in the centres and make the shape more stable The filling is just light poly filla and it was curving out at the bottom and the pincushion was going to be wobbly. Maybe next time I should add some cardboard at the bottom.I can't wait to see all the Pincushion challenge creations this month!

14 comments:

Unknown July 31, 2006  

That is just about the cutest thing I have seen all day! Teeny flowers and little elephants!!

Inanna July 31, 2006  

Claire, what an adorable pincushion! I love the flowers and it looks so sweet with the pins you chose.

Anonymous,  July 31, 2006  

Beautiful! Those tiny flowers are so pretty.

Junie Moon July 31, 2006  

Wonderful, I love the little elephants and flowers details.

Anonymous,  August 01, 2006  

So lovely!

ofpinsandneedles August 01, 2006  

That's wonderful! One of the nicest pincushions I've ever seen.

molly | mommycoddle.com August 01, 2006  

it's beautiful. i love all the delicate little flowers on top.

Susan Mitchell August 01, 2006  

I am flattered that you were inspired by my pincushion, and I in turn was inspired by bella dia, so it all works out! I love the colour combination that you chose and the elephant ribbon is the perfect finishing touch. :)

Anonymous,  August 01, 2006  

I'm worried that when the strawberry muffins run out, one of us is going to eat this delicious looking pincushion cupcake ...

Ruth Singer August 01, 2006  

where is that lovely ribbon from? Is it vintage? and did you cut the flowers out by hand? they are very precise, lovely!

Carina August 01, 2006  

Very pretty. And the elephants are just so darn cute! :-)

Dawn August 04, 2006  

Adorable! I love everything about this!!!

Allison August 05, 2006  

I just love it, especially the elephant ribbon. Love your blog!

flygirl August 28, 2006  

Oh.My.God. That is beautiful...I feel kind of hungry looking at it :-D ! Reminds me a little of Amanda Way's cake decorating style too.

Beautiful blog.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP