Needle books, Amy Butler, and elephant ribbon

>> Saturday, July 08, 2006

Lately I've been adding more needle books to my shop. A couple of people mentioned that they wanted one of my needle books and missed getting one - which I appreciate! - so I've been making more. I've been picking blue fabrics for this batch but I'll be making some with other colours soon too.(this one is now SOLD)

I'm also excited about making my version of the Amy Butler weekender bag. I was most inspired by this wonderful version. I love bird prints so much and I thought this one was perfect because it's subtle too. I was also inspired by the beautiful contrast with the pink piping.

I spent hours looking in fabric shops on Queen West, but ended up choosing a plaid that I had seen in the first place at Fabricland. It has threads of pink in it, and I already had a large piece of dark pink fabric that I thought I could use for the lining and piping. So as you can see I'm using the pink piping idea, and believe me if I'd found that great bird fabric I'd be shamelessly copying the whole design, but I didn't. I like the texture of the plaid and it seems fairly durable too. I also really like it with the dark pink.Whenever I go to Fabricland I appreciate the organization but I imagine that I'll find much more interesting fabrics on Queen St. But when I go to Queen St. so many of the stores are really crowded and it can be hard to even see what's there. It can be a real mish-mash - especially if you're looking for something specific. I didn't find a single bird print! But I am getting a sense of the kinds of fabrics each of the stores have. And best of all I found these adorable ribbons: My favourite is the elephant family, with flower trees. Ahhh! now that was worth the trip.

5 comments:

laura capello July 09, 2006  

Those are some beautiful ribbons, indeed.

I'm loving that Amy Butler bag as well. But did you read about her broken and bent needles? Yikes! I've never broke a needle before, and with my klutzy record, I'm quite terrified of such a situation!

Anonymous,  July 09, 2006  

I loev your needle books, they look so cute!

Anonymous,  July 10, 2006  

Love your needlebooks! Have you ever found a source for Amy Butler fabric in Toronto? Also can't find Heather Ross Lightening Bugs. Any help much appreciated. Thanks!

Anonymous,  July 10, 2006  

Love your needlebooks! Have you ever found a source for Amy Butler fabric in Toronto? Also can't find Heather Ross Lightening Bugs. Any help much appreciated. Thanks!

Claire Louise Milne July 10, 2006  

Sorry I don't know of a source for Amy Butler (or Lightening bugs) fabric except online.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP